Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Writing with an Outline

Only recently have I really begun to write outlines for my stories, and I have to say, I really like how my writing has turned out.

The story that I'm currently working on, Front of the Whorehouse, is actually the first story that I have ever had entirely planned out. It's a good thing that I have, because if not, I wouldn't have gotten as far into it as I have.

As awesome as outlining is for fiction (I know the path I'm going, I have a good track of how far I've made it), it can also be rather daunting.

I usually set myself up for big things: I don't want to just write a little sumthin' sumthin', unless that was my original idea. Although I wouldn't consider it a novel, it's a very long story, and I'm really concerned while writing it. I know that where I am right now, is barely twenty-five percent to where the full destination is. I'm not making progress the way I should. Right now, my craft is a passion, not a career, because I haven't learned to write even when I'm "not feeling it". Until I can do that, I don't think I will be a successful writer.

I'm considering putting a limit on my stories, and trying to hit certain marks. I'm going to attempt to write one bullet point a day. That means, that by this time next month, I would have it complete. I should probably get back to writing right now, rather than this.

PS. I am reading The Nigger of the "Narcissus", and as soon as I finish it, I will write a review of it. I'm hoping that Conrad's epic paragraphs and style will help me with my own need for epic paragraphs and descriptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment