Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Writing What You're Possessed To

Because my New Year's resolution involves me writing every day, I've decided to let my fingers write whatever they want to.

Sometimes I'm able to work more on an individual story, other times, I write a sceney or two and then I'm done. Yesterday, I spent a fair amount of time writing an opinion article. As I wrote it, I wasn't sure who I was writing it for. I know I was writing it because the idea was coming out, but I have no idea if it has any sort of market.

I've heard mixed reviews about writing, and what one should write. Most of the literary people that I've spoken to say that you need to write what comes naturally, and worry about a market later on. Some money making people that I have spoken to tell me to write what sells.

I'm conflicted between the two. I know that many different genres sell, but I don't know if I'm trying to get into an over-saturated market. I would hate for my work to get lost amongst the piles of other stories by the millions of people trying to get their work out there.

The best thing for me to do is continue to read and write, and not focus so much on these other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment