Friday, May 24, 2013

Equestria Girls: The More I Know, the Less I Like

Okay, in the last few months, more and more has been leaked about the FiM spin-off Equestria Girls. We've now been told that it's not a spin-off series, but a spin-off MOVIE. Yes, they're making a movie of humanized ponies.

There are some people that are inherently against it, as much as the people who hate My Little Ponies. There are reasonable people that will give a chance to it, and go see it. Then there are people who politely refuse to watch it for reasons that they don't go fanatical about.

I fall into the lattermost category.

I have quite a few reasons why I don't like this movie, therefore I will state them as respectfully as possible, although I've already stated some reasons in my previous blog post. I will now elaborate, especially since I've seen the trailer for the movie.

A basic synposis: there's a magic mirror that Twilight goes through and she ends up in a high school, doing other high school things, beating a mean-girl in some stupid popularity contest.

*sigh*

A lot of people think that folks are mad because Hasbro has made a humanization of ponies. Well, that's partially the truth. The problem that I have with the humanizations is that they are the same cookie-cutter characters that are everywhere in toys for young girls: tall, thin, the same facial features, huge shoes, and they're all wearing skirts, which is how they're showing the cutie marks.

Beautiful Diverse Mane Six courtesy of BleachedKitten
When people see beautiful fan art on websites like DeviantArt, the reason we usually like it is because they make the characters look beautiful and unique. They're made to be individual body types: musculature on Applejack and Rainbow Dash, a super sinewy Pinkie Pie (she seems to be a high metabolism and ADHD), a regular bodied (not thin OR fat) Twilight and an incredibly curvaceous (plus size model type) for Rarity. They look beautiful, they're individuals, not the same person in different situations. This is more rushed than the season finale that made Twilight an Alicorn princess.

Now, I have a HUGE problem with tomboys like Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash being put in skirts. I mean c'mon, Applejack is a farm girl, hard working, and Rainbow Dash would be a track star. Rarity in a skirt, would be something haute couture; Fluttershy in a skirt would probably be a long peasant dress, and Twilight, I think she would wear pants because she would be busy researching and climbing to the top of the library stools, and wouldn't want some jerk-off looking at her plot.


Then, it's the plot. Why high school? Why such a stereotypical plot. Why couldn't they have something more original, something where the Mane Six have to save Equestria, or we see more of the unicorn magic, or hell, have the Cutie Mark Crusaders find their true selves?

Stupid High School Shenanigans With Typical Cut-Out Body Type Courtesy of Derpibooru 
Once again, Hasbro is rushing ponies, as if it is a fad that will grow out soon. It's not a fad that will grow out soon, it's spawned such amazing things thus far: art, mentalities, even an informal religion.


Hasbro is once again spitting in the face of their demographic, when they have a niche group that they will have for... ever really. It's things like this that make me, as a writer annoyed, and me as a fan, disappointed with the portrayals.

Hasbro is ruining MLP, and that makes me sad. I don't even know what will happen to the show at the rate it's going, I'm not sure I'll want to watch it anymore; I might have to just stick to the fan world.

No comments:

Post a Comment