Sunday, March 10, 2013

Equestria Girls- Yes, Another MLP Related Rant

I didn't think that I would write again about My Little Pony, at least not until the new season returns. However, after doing a bit of searching about my former favorite Western animated show, I've found something else that makes me -_-.

Now, before people say that this show is "for little girls" and that there is no reason for me to write anything about it because I'm not its target audience, I'd beg to differ. Being a 21 year old female means that I'm actually it's second target audience. I'm still young enough to watch cartoons enthusiastically, but I've just reached the cusp of having disposable income, income that I'd like to assume Hasbro would like me to spend on their creations.

I have seen wonderfully beautiful fan art of humanized ponies, and then I've seen some... not my style fan art. This Equestria girls fuckery falls into the latter category.

Hasbro has managed to take the characters, and give them all the same long, skinny, big-foot, fake anime style look that is running rampant in cartoons. And it seems the setting is high school. High school. Even as I'm writing this, I can't stand what I'm typing.

Hasbro obviously has no insight into their viewership or fans, or high school. For the majority of people, high school was not the happiest time of their lives, nor do they get into shenanigans like those always shown in shows. It's full of lessons, tests, and if you're lucky, friends that make it easier. Regressing the Mane Six to such a level is not wise.

Not only that, the character design is flawed. Rather than having to deal with the issue of making the characters from different ethnic backgrounds, the company has bleached out their fur colors to give them a pastel M&M flesh tone. Then, they have all of the main characters in skirts, with hair down to their asses that looks like a mane and tail, horse ears, cutie marks on their face, and the pegasi (and Twilight) have their wings.

I'd post a picture of it to my blog, but I'd rather just put a link.

All of these things just prove that Hasbro is a cash cow that doesn't understand that it's alienating the majority of their core audience. MLP, in its current incarnation, has the ability to go strong for at least a decade, hell even longer if steered in the right direction. With all the choices being made by the creative team, all these wrong choices, it's going to burn this bright only temporarily, before backs are turned about it.

It's such a shame that they're wasting such beautiful character designs and near limitless writing directions sucking it dry.

I think I will stick to my My Little Pony Game for Kindle. Besides the ridiculous prices, it'll satisfy my pony need.

No comments:

Post a Comment