Friday, January 25, 2013

Minski the Cannibal: Good Story, Bad Copy Choice

Sometimes when I have a few digital rubles, I make spur-of-the-moment purchases. Buying Minski the Cannibal definitely falls into that category.

I'll start by saying I'm a fan of de Sade's work. I read 120 Days of Sodom two years ago, and it was hilarious. Granted, there are some things you have to get used to when reading things written by him.

I should start by giving a basic warning:


  • de Sade enjoys writing torture and murder. There is no care for humanity, or individuals, especially not family members.
  • There is usually some form of pedophilia, the victims (many times females) are for the most part young beautiful girls, and he often rapes children.
  • There are very few fully-fledged female characters. He seems to have a love/hate relationship with the fairer sex, and he has a hate/hate relationship with the vulva. I could write essays about how hard he is, but I shan't for the sake of brevity.
  • He loves the buttsex. Male, female, it doesn't matter, it has to be up the poop shoot. He does seem to like boobs, though.
  • He can be a super blasphemer. Like... he's beyond an atheist, and says things that I would never in my brain, let alone create.


If you can't stand those five things in literature, don't read his stuff. There is also plenty of corprophilia, and sometimes cannibalism and incest. I honestly don't feel like it makes me want to throw up, but I can guarantee your draw will drop. I kept gasping and giggling as I read it, so much so that I was a distraction in class.

Now, if you'd still like to give it a shot (which I hope you do), I'll get on to what de Sade is more than anything: a philosopher. Just like his longer work, Minski the Cannibal is chocked full of his ideologies, ideas and philosophies. He declares himself a libertine, and gives in to it in the most extreme of ways. I have to admit, there are quite a few places in the philosophy where I found myself agreeing, although I generally found him batshit. If everyone was like him, there would be no next generation of humans.

This book is actually a sceney from Juliette, a work considered his masterpiece. In this particular part, the titular character, and some of her homies encounter this Russian giant that enjoys seeing them being super pervs. His name is Minkski and he lives in a desolate castle where he keeps harems of people at hand to sate his depraved ways. His favorite ethnicity of people is Africans (which I'm not sure I like...), and he lives by his natures. Whatever sick fucked up crime he can commit, he does. He's wanted all over Europe, and the only reason he hasn't added more to his sizable resume, is because he hasn't had a chance. He's a standard libertine de Sade character. Once inviting the young people to partake, they live in his castle and do naughty things. I shan't give away exactly what happens, but that's the gist of it.

It's not that long, and but it packs a nice little bit for people who just want to start in on de Sade.

Now, on to the cons.

As far as the literature, it's good. It gives a good impression of his style. The fault lies with Kindle, and the douchewaffle that put this to print. I shelled out $2.99 for this, thinking it was that much reading material (at least 100 KBs of writing). It's not. Just when I hit the middle of the "book", the scene is over, and it starts in on some authors fucking essay about de Sade. I was so heated. All those pages... I thought I was going to have more of him for my buck. I could have bought Justine for one third of the price. I felt so duped. If I wanted to read some essays on de Sade, I would have went on Google Scholars and downloaded some. I didn't want to pay for someone else's writing on him, I wanted him. I was so super livid, that I went to search for the full version of the book Juliette to see if I could buy it...  that shit was nearly ten buck for a digital copy! As much as I like reading him, I had to say fuck outta here.

If you want to read de Sade, and see what all the hooplah is about, I suggest going to your local library and picking up a hard copy. Yeah, schlep your ass outside and get up off the wireless. You can see what kind of copy it is, and turn pages. If there's one thing de Sade does, it's turn pages. Don't waste your money on that digital copy. Only buy it if you read it and love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment