Sunday, January 20, 2013

Becoming an "Official" Writer

Someone bought some of my writing.

To some people, this might not seem as pivotal as it seems to me. It's not the most epic thing that can happen. I haven't published some novel that's going to make me a gagillion dollars. People that aren't artists don't understand the sheer significance of the act.

For the first time in my writing career (a career that many people have mistakenly called a "passion") I've actually had someone give me money for the pleasure of my words. Not getting an A on a paper, or doing anything that shall rename unmentioned. This was my fiction, the things that I created, my characters and plot lines. They saw that much pleasure that they gave me money. They saw that much in my skills...

It's overwhelming...

So many times I'm unsure that I will have an audience for the things that I write. Every time and I sit and begin to write, or type, the doubt creeps through me. And each block becomes a question that breaks down my concentration.

But I sent work, stuff that I'd only edited once or twice, and it was enjoyed. It makes me want to get more things out there. I'm reading about a website called Smashwords, and I'm going to try and see if I can self publish some shorter things.

I forgot the other upswing part of my news. I bought a digital copy of The Writers Market! For the first time in my writing, I'm actually going to learn more about the business side of writing and making money off it. This is huge, I can see what kind of companies and agents are looking for my type of stuff. The beginning of the book is really helpful, because it begins to teach you how to pimp yourself. It also has a lot of different types of publishers that look for work. I can see how many places take writing like mine. Granted, I have to come into the agency with some writing that isn't as ridiculously graphic and disgusting as some of my writing. I can also find someone to buys my PG/Young Adult stuff, and even the romantic things I let out every once in a while. I can also see what's selling like hotcakes and try to write more of that.

Sheesh, now that this has happened, I can even put "Writer" on my resume! I have to research writing portfolios, and how to keep track of submissions. I actually feel like I'm working on my writing. I feel like a kid! Well, when more information comes up, I'll write it.

Forgot to mention. I took a break from Conrad, he was getting a bit long winded, and I need things that are going to keep my rapt attention. I read that reading writing that isn't your style is good... unfortunately I read that after I read "Minski the Cannibal". Yes, it's de Sade, yes it's hilariously graphic. Was it worth the money...? I'll have to write a review of it, and that price tag -_-

Alright TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment