Sunday, January 27, 2013

What the Fuck Do I Write?! Or One Author's Exploration into Publishing

I don't even know how to begin this post... I don't quite know where it is going... I guess I should just start from the beginning.

I have my Writer's Market. I'm reading it, and I'm actually beginning to look through magazines and such for publishers and agents that want writing similar to what I do.

I didn't realize just how hard it is to categorize my writing. I don't want to sound like a neophyte, but I'm so confused! They use words I don't know, and fancy terms, and so very few seem to want anything to do with writing that is like mine. Most of the places specifically say no erotica. I understand if you publish, let's say, Christian writing, you wouldn't want stuff like mine. Totally understandable. But there are places, that say things like "we want great fiction, no matter the genre" and then two sentences later put something like "no erotica or werewolves because it's overdone". Really, really?

The more I look through the stuff that is selling, the more I wonder exactly what I would consider my writing. Yes, most of the time it has graphic depictions of sex, but there's also a bunch of other good stuff going on in the pages. There is a plot, and great story telling, and dialogue that the reader will laugh at. The one thing I do have in mind when writing, is how a reader will enjoy it. It's gotten to the point where there are some markets that ask for some niche things, and I'm going to do custom pieces just for them. You want Black lesbian literature? You got it dude!

I don't know if I'm going to continue to read through it right now (I think I need some coffee just to begin to comprehend just how small of a viewership this makes me feel I'll have). I think I have to regroup, and come back to it. I'm just so.... I don't know... confused? Anxious? Unnerved? I think all of the above, in a blender, on high.

Will I have to modify my writing, and make it more marketable? Or should I stick to my guns and continue to wallow. This just further cements that I will need a full time job, this writing is not going to pay my bills any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment