Thursday, September 20, 2012

Putting in my 10,000 hours

I've read that in order to truly master something, you must put in 10,000 hours of work. That is a daunting task, even for the most dedicated writer.

It is even more daunting when I feel I am not meeting my potential.

I've made several mistakes, things that I should know better about:


  • I've neglected my reading. Recently, the only thing that I've read was The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle. It was a beautiful book. It made me cry, it was stunning, it's a book that I would read to my brats if I;m ever to have any. I read another novel, but it wasn't the type of that I usually read. Those two books, and a slew of National Geographic and Smithsonian magazine articles. I used to read hundreds of pages a day.
  • I'm not writing the way that I usually would. I get through a few pages a day. For me, putting in a solid hour is a miracle day that would go down in the annals of history. I know I shouldn't judge myself based on what other people do, but I know that if I want to be a professional, and taken seriously, I must put in the hours.
  • I misuse my Kindle. I knew, deep down inside, that there was a reason that I wanted to e-reader kindle, and not the Fire. With the fire, I've only read a few books, but I play a lot of awesome games. But getting perfect scores in Bubble Blast, or figuring out the puzzles in 100 Levels. I think I will read Uncle Tom's Cabin, since I have it.


I'm not sure what I should do. I think that I will set a schedule for myself, especially while looking for a job. I need to look for somewhere to publish my writing. If I find somewhere, I'll definitely put a link to it up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment