Saturday, September 29, 2012

Am I Feeding Sterotypes?

I've recently been reading about different stereotypes that are present with black people in literature.

The more I read about these stereotypes, the more that I'm afraid that I might have written my characters into said stereotypes.

Are the characters in my play noble savages? Is my female love interest a "magic negro"? Have I allowed myself to fall into the same pitfalls? Would an outside reader, or a critic see me as merely recycling things that have already been seen?

I know the worst thing I can do for my writing, is think about the cares of others, but I can't help it. I try not to, but it happens. I don't want it to happen, but it does.

But the deeper I look in to it, the more I can see so many of my characters can be viewed as some sort of stereotype. But... if I make my characters do everything possible to not be a stereotype, does that make them another stereotype in return?

I will have to look at my other stories, to see if these themes are permeating all of my work, or just some.

Fuck... I really shouldn't be criticizing my own work, especially if there will be hundreds of people doing that for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment