Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Black History Month Reading List and Side Note

Usually, I don't really observe and follow months or observances. But, since I'm Black, and a writer, I decided that for this Black History Month, I will exclusively read Black authors.

I've read Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston, and I've read the majority of the work by the amazing Toni Morrison. I've read Langston Hughes, and an essay by Audre Lourde.

But there are many, many, many authors that I haven't read. I remember reading a collection of poems called I am the Darker Brother. I remember reading it, and finding the work beautiful, and only recognizing two of the names in the book. Two names. I felt so stupid, so uninformed, so outside of the world that I considered myself. I still can't name many of them.

Starting off my chocolate author reading list is Frederick Douglass' groundbreaking autobiography My Bondage, My Freedom. Yes, it sounds like something that I would write or enjoy, but it's not that kind of bondage or freedom. I'm 20% through, and there have already been parts that made my cry.

After this, I'm not sure what I will read, because there's a book around my house by Ralph Ellison that in paper, and I want to try and work my way through it.

I'm thinking of expanding my Black History Month reading to include works about the Black experience and perceptions of Black people. My Dad got me another book (before the poetry) called Documents of American Prejudice. This book is amazing, and the ideas and pseudoscience being put forth about my people (I've only gotten as far in as the lengthy Black chapter). This counts as Black History in my book.

I will write my review of Frederick Douglass as soon as I'm done.

I almost forgot to mention: I finished my PG short story. It is currently in the very capable and well moisturized hands of my beta, and being looked at. I know it's rougher than sand paper, but it will be properly put online in due time.

No comments:

Post a Comment