Sunday, February 17, 2013

My Little Pony, From a Writer's Perspectve

I've just watched the season finale of My Little Ponies: Friendship is Magic.

For anyone that is a fan, and hasn't seen this, and doesn't want to know what we all know happened, don't read on.

This isn't going to be a critique of the show from the point of view of a fan, this is a critique for the point of view of a writer.

The writer of the episode, M. A Larson, has just bumped up what us fans knew was inevitable. But should it have been done at this point in the story? As a writer, I find that this is entirely the wrong thing on the part of the company and on the part of the series.

My first reason for being against this, is that it throws of the balance of the series. No matter how many times they say that nothing changes, everything changes. They took six perfect characters, at least one that anyone can identify with, and just gave one of them demigod status. Now it's the mane six, including a princess.

The second anti-alicorn point is that it's far too soon into the series to do something like this. I watch a lot of anime, but with anime, you know from jump street that it's going to be a full story. Only rare series like InuYasha seem to go on indefinitely, even then, I knew that they were going to eventually have the facedown with Naraku and get the entire jewel. Most shows have arcs that consist of a few episodes, and each arc leads towards the end. With American shows, they seem to go on indefinitely. People don't feel that their shows will end because the plot continues to go. A lot of shows in the west end in ways that really don't resolve anything, or make you feel as if you've been told an entire story; for me the show leads up to Twilight reaching her destiny. This season finale feels like the end of the story.

Who in their right mind would make a choice like this is an idiot that obviously doesn't listen to their demographic. Granted, I'm a bit out of the age bracket, but I'm still part of the majority that watches the show.

Hasbro is not doing justice to the characters at this point. Last season, they also released the Littlest Pet Shop, as if it's going to make the same money, especially when they have repeating color schemes. In a race to make money in the short run, they're losing in the long run. I know now for damn sure, I'd never buy a Hasbro pony toy; I'll take a custom artist piece over their shitty versions any day.

Although I'm being urged by my friend to watch the next season, I'm incredibly disappointed.  I really thought that Lauren Faust leaving wouldn't leave that much of a difference. I don't think this would have happened under her watch. She said that she had ideas for Twilight, but that they don't matter at this point, because, well, she's not in charge anymore.

I really hope that Lauren Faust's Galaxy Girls becomes a show because I'm losing faith in American animation and writing styles.

I've never thought about show writing, or screenplays, but I've always read that you have to "be the change you want to see in the world".

No comments:

Post a Comment