Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Difficulties You Might Not Expect

I have to say, coming up with ideas isn't really my issue when it comes to writing.

I have way more problems with actually getting through an idea, and finishing it. When I look at so much of my writing, I'll get in far, 20, 30, sometimes even forty pages. I'll try to keep it up long and strong, and it'll fade back as quickly as it came on, and I'm stuck dribbling on about something I'm not quite sure was ever as good as I'd imagined it to be.

I think it's the reason that writing something, dare I say, novel length is intimidating for me. My play was originally supposed to be something novel length, and I know if I had continued trying to write it as something grand and pompous, I'd have forsaken it before I could go the full journey with my character. Now, I return to a novel, the very beginnings of some epic story, and I find that I don't know that character any more. She's grown into a wonderful and splendid human being (for all intensive purposes), and I still have her stuck at at basic level.

As for right now, I know that there is a particular story, well, a few, that I should devote time specifically to. I'm still learning how to actually sit and write something for two hours. I don't know if I'll ever be able to do it perfectly, but I know that I need to put in the time necessary for me to perfect my craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment